After numerous reports of injury and death, the FDA encourages dog owners to avoid bone treats.

It's become pretty well known that you shouldn't give your dog a chicken or turkey bone as they are too brittle and become a choking hazard. However, you would assume bone treats sold in stores are safe, right? Wrong.

The FDA has received 68 reports of illness (including death) from November 1, 2010 and September 12, 2017 related to bone treats. These bone treats include many you see in the store including:

  • Ham Bones
  • Pork Femur Bones
  • Rib Bones
  • Smokey Knuckle Bones

Many of these bones are popular gift items around the holiday, so make sure you examine the treat closely before giving it to your dog. Choking is not the only possible hazard. Other illnesses reported to the FDA are:

  • Blockage of the digestive tract
  • Cuts/wounds on the mouth and tonsils
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Bleeding from the rectum
  • Death (approximately 15 reported)

The FDA suggests talking to your veterinarian before giving your dog a bone treat if you are unsure. Another reminder to keep bones (including those in the trash) out of your dog's reach this holiday season.

[FDA]