North Dakota is One of the Happiest and Healthiest States in the U.S.
A recent Gallup study measured each state's well-being and North Dakota not only improved on its ranking from last year but had one of the highest scores in the nation.
The study determines 'well-being' by focusing on its five essential elements: purpose, social, financial, community, and physical. Overall, North Dakota ranks 5th in well-being over the past year. That is an improvement from its previous ranking of 16th in 2016.
In terms of the essential elements used in measuring well-being, North Dakota finished 1st in financial, 5th in purpose, and 7th in social.
To give a better understanding of the essential elements used in the rankings provided by Gallup, they're listed as such:
- Purpose: liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
- Social: having supportive relationships and love in your life
- Financial: managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
- Community: liking where you live, feeling safe, and having pride in your community
- Physical: having good health and enough energy to get things done daily
South Dakota finished 1st overall followed by Vermont, Hawaii, and Minnesota before North Dakota rounded out the top five. The bottom five states for well-being were Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and West Virginia finishing last.
To view the entire breakdown of the State Well-Being Rankings, click here.