Finals week is fast approaching, and I’m sure a lot of you, like me, are cramming 4 ½ months of information into a few short days or preparing for these dreaded tests. “This isn’t my first rodeo” is something I always say, yet I somehow always sell myself short when it comes to preparing for all the tests I have to take.
I have researched some tips for making this semester’s finals go a lot smoother so I don’t stress about the tests.
Here are a few:
- Take some time off work (if possible). This is something that may be hard to do in today’s economy, but it is something that can make a huge difference between doing ok and doing awesome. Even reducing hours so you can fit extra study time in will go a long way.
- Sleep. Get your body rested so that you aren’t tired when taking your tests. Some people can function fine on 3 hours of sleep, where-as others need a full 8 hours. Sleep is when your brain processes what you just learned, hones new skills, and processes your memories. So don’t pull all-nighters because you can use the rest.
- Break up study times. Thinking spending equal time on each of your finals isn’t necessarily the way to go. Instead, study more on the finals you know are harder and less on the ones you know the material for.
- Use your notes (when allowed). In today’s classes, the instructors are allowing you to use your notes. This is their way of seeing if you know how to effectively research the topics you learned. If that is the case, make sure your notes are clearly written and in order.
- Eat breakfast. Some people skip out on the most important meal of the day. Breakfast in your belly will get your body going and have you ready for the day. Eat something healthy such as fruit or whole wheat toast.
If you have some surefire tips or ways to prep for finals week, share with everyone in the comments below. I know I could use some tips for this dreaded week!