Ways to Stay Cool and Safe During Possible Record Breaking Heat This Week
June normally marks the arrivall of warmer weather for Bismarck-Mandan, but we could actually see record breaking temperatures for the month later this week.
According to the National Weather Service, daytime high temperatures could get as high as the mid 90's, some areas of the state can see heat near 100.
With the hot weather approaching Wednesday through Friday, here are some ideas to beat the heat
- Stay Hydrated, drink plenty of fluids and the best hydration is water. Plus, be sure your pets and cattle have fresh water. (and shade)
- Take a break, stay safe and rest in the shade or a cool place.
- Take a plunge, dive into a local swimming pool, many are open now.
- Use sunscreen, sunburn hurts and can cause skin cancer.
- Listen to your body, if you're light headed or you stop sweating, these are cautions signs; sweating is the body's way to cool off.
- It's best to limit your sun exposure between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m, this is the hottest portion of the day.
- Go down! If you have a basement, use it, it's normally 10-15 degrees cooler.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses.
- Find a cool spot, if you don't have air conditioning, go to the library or the mall or see a movie.
For more safety tips, click here.