Bismarck Fire Brings Out The Very Best In Our Community
A peaceful, lazy Sunday morning erupted into flames, fire trucks, and within hours left 4 people with no place to stay
That's exactly how it played out last Sunday morning, August 28th, here in Bismarck. Stevie Ray and her daughter were out walking close to her home on the 1000 block of Lake Avenue when she smelled smoke. All it took was seconds for her to find out where it was coming from, just a few feet from the apartment building she lives in.
Neighbors across the street had already called the police, next thing you know there were flames shooting out of the two-story building, and at least 5 firetrucks came on the scene. This is an apartment that housed 4 individuals - one of them was Angie, 68 years old - she was already at work when the fire began, and according to kxnet.com "...that the seat of the fire was located in the kitchen of a first-floor apartment"
When the smoke cleared.....
As Stevie Ray's building was being evacuated, the owner of the apartment that was on fire was out of town, she actually lives yards away from the structure. This is when Bismarck flexes their "Taking care of others" muscles - Thank goodness that nobody was hurt, no animals were lost, AND suddenly all 4 of the occupants were housed temporarily - in fact, Stevie Ray and the owner had a huge part in making sure that Angie, a diabetic, was taken care of - she moved in just feet away from her burned-out place, and quickly after members of her church swept in and replaced her comfortably somewhere in Mandan. Angie immediately found aid from Crisis Care Chaplaincy - designed to support the efforts of its agencies by offering spiritual and emotional assistance to those facing crisis. The very pleasant woman I spoke with has been the owner of the apartment building for 49 years. The wonderful thing about this whole ordeal is having so many people who care for others, like Stevie Ray, helps ease the pain and discomfort for those 4 people involved.