According to the National Weather Service, there was only a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms yesterday for Bismarck Mandan.  As it turned out, it should have probably been the other way around at 80%, as most of us in the Bismarck, Mandan, and Lincoln areas saw not only rain but damaging hail as well.

Carrie Ann Raboin
Carrie Ann Raboin

The Bismarck Mandan area went into a Severe Thunderstorm Warning at 4:15 pm Thursday afternoon.  That storm brought heavy rain to northeast Bismarck and dropped hailstones as big as tennis balls as reported by the National Weather Service.  Our studios in Mandan saw very little rain but we did have an impressive hail outburst at about 4:45 as hailstones as big as golf balls were pounding the strip (including my truck).

Rick Rider
Rick Rider

Another Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued at 4:45 for southeast Burleigh and adjacent counties south of Bismarck Mandan, which also brought heavy rain and hail. Most of these storms were over rural areas but unfortunately, some crop damage was reported from the hail.

Here's a look at some area rainfall totals according to

New Salem .34 inches of rain

Mandan .07 inches of rain

Bismarck (city) 1.24 inches of rain

Bismarck (northeast) 1.77 inches of rain

McDowell Dam 1.27 inches of rain

6 miles southeast of Lincoln 1.88 inches of rain

Lincoln (city) .67 inches of rain

Menoken .18 inches of rain

Hazelton .01 inches of rain

Linton .71 inches of rain

Sterling .01 inches of rain

Goose Lake .99 inches of rain

Braddock 1.29 inches of rain

Napoleon .58 inches of rain

Alkaline Lake .35 inches of rain

Steele .16 inches of rain

Driscoll .20 inches of rain

Sterling .02 inches of rain

Moffit .93 inches of rain

Hailstone Creek (7 miles west of New Salem) 1.02 inches of rain

Hannover .89 inches of rain


LOOK: The most expensive weather and climate disasters in recent decades

Stacker ranked the most expensive climate disasters by the billions since 1980 by the total cost of all damages, adjusted for inflation, based on 2021 data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The list starts with Hurricane Sally, which caused $7.3 billion in damages in 2020, and ends with a devastating 2005 hurricane that caused $170 billion in damage and killed at least 1,833 people. Keep reading to discover the 50 of the most expensive climate disasters in recent decades in the U.S.


Most Famous People From North Dakota's Biggest Cities




More From Hot 975