Are You Ready For 2020?
We have been in the 2000s for 20 years, believe it or not. Welcome to The (Modern Day) Roarin' Twenties. Two days into 2020, and I still can't believe 1990 was 30 years ago. That means, that I am creeping up closer and closer to 30. The shock that it's actually a brand new year is going to take a minute to wear off.
Yes, it's crazy that we're starting a new decade, but there's a lot to look forward to this year. I'm not just talking about it being an election year or that Independence Day, Christmas, and New Year take place over a weekend. Here's what else is going on:
- The Summer Olympics are happening - This year, the Summer Olympics are taking place in Tokyo, Japan. Of course, summer isn't for a while, but get prepared for two weeks of nonstop Olympics coverage from July 24 - August 9. Expect to see five new sports: Karate, baseball/softball, skateboarding, sports climbing, and surfing. I'm sure there will be at least one juicy Olympian scandal as well.
- Superheroes, Spinoffs and Sequels will take over the box office - If you like superheroes, the female superheroes will dominate this year with Wonder Woman 1984 and Black Widow hitting theaters. The sagas will continue in the action world with Fast and Furious 9 and in the fantasy world with Fantasic Beasts. We'll also see new adaptations of West Side Story and live-action versions of Sonic the Hedgehog and Mulan.
- Yahoo will open its digital time capsule - This year, Yahoo will turn 25. Back in 2006, people were invited to place digital artifacts in a virtual time capsule. Then, it was passed off to the Smithsonian in Washington, DC, for safekeeping. What were people digitally storing all those years ago?
- Two words: New. Music. - 2020 will be huge in music. Of course, we already know about Selena Gomez dropping Rare next week, and Justin Beiber going on tour, but that's not all. We're also going to be hearing new Cardi B., Lana Del Ray, and Lady Gaga. There are also big tours in the works for Niall Horan and Taylor Swift, plus, we're holding out for 2020 tour announcements from Beyonce and K-pop mega bands BTS and BlackPink.
- Gamers Rejoice - Two new gaming consoles are coming out this year. Get ready for the PlayStation 5 and the XBox Series X. On top of those releases, we will also see new games that accompany the next generation of consoles, including Halo Infinite for XBox and a new Call of Duty for PS5.
Maybe I am ready for 2020 after all.