The holiday season isn’t over yet! We are getting ready to ring in the New Year with our friends and family.

Fondue, cookies, party hats, and noisemakers make the celebration fun, but let’s not forget about having a few drinks to make the night extra exciting.

Drinks To Minors

What about the family members who can’t partake and the drinking portion of the festivities? I’m sure the first time you ever tried alcohol was with your family. Maybe they gave you a swig of their beer or wine. While that may seem harmless, the question is, can you legally do this? Can you give minors alcohol in the privacy of your own home?

I looked it up. I was curious.

You might be surprised to learn that there are many states where it is legal for parents or guardians to give minors alcohol.

According to, there are 19 states that allow minors to consume alcohol under a "Family exception" law.

  • Washington
  • Wyoming
  • Montana
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Louisiana
  • Alaska
  • Oregon
  • Colorado
  • Iowa
  • Minnesota
  • Illinois
  • Virginia
  • Maryland
  • Delaware
  • Maine

North Dakota

What is the law in North Dakota? -- According to, North Dakota has something called the "Social Host Liability Law." Essentially, a person holding a party or social gathering is liable for providing alcohol to minors and providing an environment for minors to consume alcohol.

If you control the property, you are responsible for what happens on that property.

So, while other states might allow minors to consume alcohol with parental supervision, it would appear that North Dakota is not one of them.


8 Things You Can't Mail

Before you head to the post office, take a look at this.

Gallery Credit: Andi Ahne

LOOK: 20 photos of shipwrecks from WWI and WWII

Stacker compiled research from news sites, wreckage databases, and local diving centers to provide context for a series of striking images of WWI and WWII shipwrecks.

Gallery Credit: Elias Sorich


More From Hot 975