Safety Tips to Consider Before Hunting in North Dakota
November is upon us which means hunters from across North Dakota are preparing for another, hopefully successful, season.
Hunting is a very popular sport but it can be dangerous if hunters are not responsible and cautious. Here are some helpful tips before you venture out on a hunting excursion.
- Check weather reports.
- Tell someone where and when you will be hunting.
- Be familiar with the area you are hunting.
- Be prepared for the worst possible conditions.
- Dress appropriately, should you be wearing orange?
- Check hunting equipment before and after each hunt.
- Carry an extra set of dry clothing.
- Have a first aid kit.
- Clearly identify your target before shooting.
- Plan out your hunt by putting it in writing.
- During deer season, avoid wearing white or tan.
If you are not hunting but find yourself in an area where hunters are present, follow these precautions:
- Wear bright colors.
- If you have a dog with you, make sure they are dressed in a bright color as well.
- Make noise by whistling, singing, or carrying on a conversation.
- Be courteous. Once a hunter knows you are there do not do anything to disturb the wildlife.
- Be aware of hunting season if you enjoy hiking or bike riding.
- Know your comfort level.
Have a safe, fun and successful hunting season!